Select a Revue: 

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith 

Needless to say, I abandoned my original plan to see Kicking and Screaming last night in favor of seeing Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith at 3am. It was a tough choice, but I fear that Kicking and Screaming could very well be the path to the darkside.

So, as director Kevin Smith so eloquently put it in his review of this movie, “Revenge of the Sith is, quite simply, f***ing awesome.” As it lived up to his expectations, so to did it live up to mine. Granted, I was mostly hoping that it wouldn’t be as substandard as Episodes I & II, but my expectations for Sith have grown considerably over the previous month leading up to the release. I was at the point where I expected nothing short of the magnificence I had grown up with in watching the original Star Wars movies.

If you’re not a Star Wars fan in general, then this movie probably won’t be quite as exciting for you as it was for someone like me. Yet I believe that even without any great affection for the Star Wars universe, this movie is still one that tells an interesting and poignant story. The space battles are glorious, reminiscent of the rebel battles from the original trilogy; the CGI effects are not distracting in this movie as they were in the first two prequels, and everything appears more consistent with the look of the originals, including the battle ships and uniforms of the storm trooper clones.

The light saber duels are also superb (as to be expected these days), especially the duel between Obi-Wan (Ewan McGregor) and Anakin (Hayden Christensen). Not only is the choreography both elegant and fluid, but the emotions behind the fight are real, and for once, sharply delivered. The final exchange of words between the two is performed wonderfully by both actors. Hayden Christensen is much better in his portrayal of Anakin in this installment, and I loved watching his conflicting emotions grow as the story progressed. Emperor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) was also excellent, deliciously evil and extremely insidious. He was exceedingly cunning in his deceptions, and he beautifully orchestrates his plans--the most important being the luring of Anakin to his cause.

One more note about the light saber duels—there isn’t much cutting from one shot to the next, so unlike most action fights these days, the viewer can actually see what the hell is happening between the two characters. I wasn’t stuck wondering at every moment which character was struck with that last punch, who had the upper hand in the fight, or why directors allow cameramen with severe epilepsy to film such crucial scenes. George Lucas apparently does not have those same hiring practices. What he does tremendously lack, however, is someone to write the dialogue for him. As everyone anticipated, the dialogue is the weakest part of the movie, especially in the love scenes. It was almost embarrassing at times to hear the words that Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman (Padme) were forced to utter.

Star Wars fan or not, given that Darth Vader is one of the most famous film icons ever, it’s hard not to be intrigued as to how he descends to the dark side of the force. Furthermore, this movie is the final piece in the Star Wars prequels, the story that we have been wanting to hear since we first discovered that Darth Vader is Luke’s father 25 years ago. Well, in my case maybe only 20 years ago, but regardless, everyone has waited a long time for this. And George Lucas finally gets it right.

This film gets the oscar rating from me, an average Star Wars fan (as in, I didn’t camp out in line or arrive in full costume, but I’ll definitely see it twice). For those of you who are indifferent then I would give it four stars, but regardless, this movie was indeed, fucking awesome.

3 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being an avid Star Wars fan, albeit not so avid as to don my chewbacca costume at the theater, I've rather enjoyed reading reviews from well respected film critics as well as amateurs like yourself on this film. I agree with you that this movie was fucking awesome. That being said, I do wish you could have been a little kinder on your review of HHGTTG. If you'd have seen the original BBC movie, I believe you would concede that a) this movie was 20 times better than the first attempt b)converting a book as great as that to a movie is really difficult to pull off and c) never let the BBC produce ANYTHING! Personally, I have no sympathy for anyone who hasn't read the books and was lost throughout the whole movie. It's their own damn fault that they never recognized the necessity of reading this wholly remarkable book that has the words "Don't Panic" enscribed in friendly letters on the cover. Keep up the good work Buffy "the movie slayer"

PS-sorry about the HHG rant, but it's a very sensitive subject with me!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger BuffyICS said...

It was difficult for me to rate Hithchhiker's Guide as low as I did, and I suspect that it would be nearly impossible for any filmmaker to live up to my expectations. I suppose in the end I preferred my own imagination's interpretation of the HHG over what the movie presented. Having said that, I think it's impossible to please everyone with something as treasured as Hitchhiker's Guide, so I'm glad that not all fans of HHGTTG were disappointed with the movie.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger ObilonKenobi said...

Ahh. As soon as I saw your page I had to know if you reviewed my favorite film series and what you thought of it. I walk away with two impressions:

1. Your opinion closely matched mine. Except that I'd say the dialogue in this film in the love scenes was as bad as it ever was for any of the films. Much too corny and stale. I almost didn't believe that Anakin and Amidala were in love and I kept expecting Amidala to profess her true love to Obi-Wan because the girl was dreamy about someone but it wasn't Anakin. SHe was just going through the motions.

2. Your hot and it's nice to see hot chicks into Star Wars. (There I said what every SW fan was thinking!)

Anyway. Love the reviews and want to know if you saw The Aviator and what you thought of it. I saw it recently and loved it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home