Select a Revue: 

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Batman Begins 

It would have been absolute perfection if they could have just gotten those fight scenes right! I can’t stand it when these scenes are cut to such extremes that it is impossible to tell what the hell is happening in the actual fight. But, aside from that minor objection, this movie was absolutely brilliant.

I was delighted when I first heard that Christian Bale had been cast as the newest incarnation of Batman, and I was not disappointed with his performance in the slightest. This version of the Batman mythology is reminiscent of the first Batman movie starring Michael Keaton back in 1989, in that it is grittier and explores more of the actual character of Bruce Wayne/Batman rather than focusing on doofy villains and their pointless schemes (ahem, “Batman & Robin,” most notably). Christian Bale brings Bruce Wayne’s hatred and thirst for vengeance to the surface and makes that the focal point for the character’s motivation.

The story begins with Bruce Wayne learning to, as the previews make it clear, “make himself more than just a man,” under the instruction of Ducard (that almighty film mentor/sage, Liam Neeson). Flashbacks during these scenes show us the night that a young Bruce witnesses his parents’ murder at the hands of a petty thief and his resulting struggle with vengeance and hatred for crime. When he eventually returns to Gotham City (after Liam Neeson’s expert tutelage of course) in an effort to rid the city of its infestation of crime and corruption, the viewer has a complete understanding of his intense obsession with justice.

I loved the Scarecrow and Ra’s Al Ghul as Batman’s first foes. Considering that the bulk of the story deals with Bruce Wayne’s confrontation of his personal fears, it was appropriate that the Scarecrow—a villain who literally manifests people’s fears—was the main adversary. I personally believe that the casting for Scarecrow (Cillian Murphy) was fitting, as Cillian Murphy gives me the creeps. This movie is filled with a spectacular cast, however, and each role seemed absolutely perfect for the actor/actress. Morgan Freeman plays Lucius Fox, a kindly old scientist who assists Bruce in acquiring whatever tools he may need for his nighttime activities. Michael Caine plays the fatherly butler, Alfred, and brings his usual aplomb to the role; and Katie Holmes, while having beaten out my personal favorite Sarah Michelle Gellar for the role of Rachel Dawes, is well-suited to the idealistic and righteous district attorney.

Not only is this movie far beyond comparison to the last two Batman movies to which we have been subjected, but it successfully sets the foundation for the entire Batman mythology without being boring or sacrificing the integrity of the story. There are many different elements at work in the film, with clever bits of humor scattered throughout, an appropriate amount of drama, and several good action scenes including the requisite batmobile car chase scene. The extremely talented cast brings a power to the characters, most notably Christian Bale as I mentioned before. I can’t emphasize enough how perfect he was for the role, not only as Batman but as the billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne.

In the end, as someone who enjoys comic books as well as a good story, I found this movie to be extremely fun to watch. I highly recommend that you see this, as it is without a doubt one of the best movies I’ve seen.

Except for those blasted fight scenes! Put the camera on a mount and for the love of god hire a choreographer who knows what he’s doing!

3 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger BuffyICS said...

Ha, if only I were getting paid to write these! I've never heard of Sat. the 14th, but it looks fantastic in that 80's sort of way--from what I can tell on IMDB at least.

I'm from Kokomo Indiana, home of Big Ben and that tree stump thing. You?

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Morris said...

Saturday the 14th I saw this on HBO when I was in 3rd grade. I love your reviews very eloquent and thought out.
And I just have to say if they truly are restarting up the franchise Dennis Quaid should be the joker. I mean just look at his mug.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ilia, it's Ryan Barsotti :) My mom sent me the link to this site. I think it's awesome! I love movies too and this is totally something I would do. I had to look this review up because I saw it recently and it blew me away! I was glad to see that we agree. Christian Bale successfully made Batman a badass again. Well, hope you're doing well in SF! Hit me up online (Big Tires 17) or call me sometime! It'd be great to catch up on things. Take it easy Ilia :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home