Select a Revue: 

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Brokeback Mountain 

Brokeback Mountain was an excellent movie--surprisingly deep and meaningful, yet very slow in its development. It wasn't slow as in boring, but I confess I did start to look at my watch after an hour and a half or so. However, all 2+ hours of the film were worth it, as I got to watch a movie that really, truly moved me.

The story is set in 1963 Signal Wyoming--a small ranch town where Ennis (Heath Ledger) moves with his finance Alma (Michelle Williams) to find seasonal work as a ranchhand. It is on one such job that he meets Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal), a rodeo cowboy from Texas who works up on Brokeback Mountain during the summers. A friendship develops between the two over the several months of their employment herding sheep on the mountain, and soon enough one thing leads to another and the inevitable one night of passion ensues as it (apparently) so often does in these situations. Ennis assures Jack the following day that he isn't gay, but then again neither is Jack...mostly. They continue their relationship throughout the remainder of their employment, but when the job is done for the season the two men go their separate ways. Ennis marries Alma and has two daughters with her, while Jack meets a cowgirl of his very own to marry back in Texas despite her father's extreme disapproval. Eventually, however, Jack's path leads him back to Wyoming, where he looks up Ennis and the two immediately resume their old relationship. From then on they meet several times a year up at Brokeback Mountain, which Ennis feels is the only safe place for them to protect their secret, fearing that if anyone found out then the two would surely be brutally attacked and murdered.

This movie's plot was very slow in its development, as the story covers nearly 20 years of Ennis's and Jack's lives. While Jack would be content to leave his wife and buy a ranch for both him and Ennis to run, Ennis fears that society will never allow him to have the relationship with Jack that he truly wants. Each of the two men struggle with their desire to be together and the various barriers that prevent their ultimate wish from its fulfillment. Ennis's struggle is almost entirely within himself--his fear of a violent and deadly societal repurcussion along with his own guilt at deceiving his family. Jack is less conflicted about the relationship, but is unable to convince Enus to leave his wife for a more unconventional lifestyle.

What I really liked most about this movie was the ease with which I was able to empathize with the characters--and I really don't think that this reaction would be limited to female viewers. I did manage to drag my date to this movie despite some hesitancy on his part, but I was surprised that he liked this movie as much as I did. It's not necessarily a story about two gay men attempting to hide their relationship from the outside world--it's about two people who make a strong connection despite their heterosexual natures, and must struggle with guilt, fear, and a seemingly uncontrollable need for each other's company. I really felt for both of these guys because their situation was so impossible, as they were constantly trying to reconcile their conscience with the relationship.

I definitely recommend this movie--to men and women, but only if one doesn't mind slow-moving and deliberate storylines. This is a movie about normal people and their innate need to pursue happiness within the tight constraints of the societies in which they live. The movie was extremely powerful and moving, and anyone who likes meaningful stories will enjoy this film. The acting is superb, the settings are beautiful, and in the end I felt that I more than got my money's worth.

7 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Jay Noel said...

I don't know about seeing this movie...I'm uncomfortable about seeing two gay cowboys cheating on their wives and breaking their backs.

Seriously, I think I'd have to be dragged to see this one as well.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger BuffyICS said...

I can see that the concept itself would be quite off-putting, but the focus of the movie isn't simply about two cowboys gettin' it on with each other--that aspect is more incidental. This movie is more about small-town culture and two men's struggle to survive in it. I would compare it to a movie like Boys Don't Cry--a character study.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I don't mean to sound close minded or old fashioned, but I just have a problem with the whole cowboy lifestyle and am getting tired of having it shoved in my face. I don't have to accept cowboys if I don't want to.

Oh, and if I hear one more chant of "We're here, we rope steer, get used to it," I will vomit.

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger sonoftheprodigal said...

haven't seen it. will see it on february 4. i'm quite excited on what i will discover.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Steve said...

I can't wait to see the long string of copy-cat gay movies that follow this film's success.

I'll be first in line to see The Gay Matrix!

And especially the Gay Star Wars, oh wait, Lucas already made those.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Jay Noel said...

Gay Matrix...They'll call it Dominatrix.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Steve said...

^[insert drum and cymbol]
ba-dump ching!

I just saw BBM last night and I think it was great, but I can't really tell because my eyes exploded after seeing the man-on-man prison-sex tent scene.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home